DEMIX GROUP is also collaborating in the creation of a safety system that accompanies the user in the practice of outdoor sports, and that intervenes in the event of an accident, reporting the event.
- Safety system for outdoor sports that makes use of IoT devices. This system must integrate the customer’s commercial offer by equipping the models in the catalog with IoT sector functionality. The proposed solution must not be generic, or easily adaptable to other helmets, but only to those of the customer. The aim is to propose a product innovation.
- Innovation must provide the customer with a market advantage.
- The specifications must apply to users who play sports occasionally or to athletes regularly engaged in sports.
- a Security System
- a security system is characterized by two basic functions:
- Redundancy to duplicate critical functionalities in order to minimize serious anomalies;
- Auto Check for the continuous analysis of the correct functioning of the modules that compose it and the timely reporting of any anomaly that may affect performance.
- a security system is characterized by two basic functions:
To meet this specification, the IoT device must be set up for communication through multiple channels to ensure, as far as possible, the correct reporting of an emergency event. The correct functionality of the modules is checked by the firmware with diagnostic procedures launched on a regular basis. The anomalies must be promptly communicated to the user via audio messages, in order to inform him of reduced system functionality (loss of connection, low energy autonomy, etc.).
The sound signal is effective because:
- it always manages to reach the user, unlike the visual one;
- easily implemented with a series of coded sounds;
- timely because it does not require any user action to receive it;
- it does not distract him from sporting activity.
- b Product Innovation
There are already solutions on the market that perform the posture control function and the measurement of helmet accelerations. All make use of the sportsman’s smartphone as a means of connecting to the telephone network for communication with a data collection server. For the considerations reported in point a), the IoT device must be set up to reach the server via multiple communication channels; for example, it could be equipped with its own GSM module.
By exploiting the potential offered by technology, it is possible to propose an innovative solution and overcome the limits of the devices on the market.
It should also be considered that implementing the emergency signaling functionality alone is not an attractive element for the market. The user hopes that this feature will never be activated. Although the usefulness of the safety system is evident, it could be first neglected in a short time (e.g. the batteries are not recharged regularly), and then abandoned (it is no longer activated).
- c To overcome this criticality, it is proposed to create a “Virtual Community”.
An example of a Virtual Community was introduced a few years ago by Nintendo with game consoles. Nintendo users who activated the local wireless function could get in touch with other users simply by being in the same action area as the Wi-Fi module. This method allowed to increase player loyalty and the creation of a community between both acquaintances and unknown players.
In this case, the local wireless network allows information to be shared even in the event of an emergency if a GSM connection is not available. The dissemination of distress call messages in the area close to the sportsman allows him to be quickly identified and requested for help.
An element to be developed is the shape of the container of the IoT device and the mode of integration in the helmet. It is not essential to drown the container in the helmet shell. For marketing needs it may be necessary to highlight it also with the possibility of activating light indicators; choice already adopted by some companies.
Virtual communities have become one of the most important social factors in recent years. They were born with the aim of exchanging knowledge between people and integrating different ideas, but those communities (or social networks) in which the user can publish personal information thus feeling part of the community have been more successful.
Taking advantage of this need, it is proposed to implement a network of interconnected IoT devices; this provides a huge advantage to the security system, as the community or network of IoT devices helps to ensure the element of redundancy required of security systems. Each user could authorize the publication of a profile or remain anonymous, publish his movements, routes, insert comments and information, publish his sports performances or organize events. The published information can be exchanged in the community through the internet, collected in a server, or through the point-to-point exchange, direct between IoT reachable within the range of the wireless network.
Community groups can be created between familiar users who play sports in groups, who want to maintain contact or share training plans remotely, or between users who do not know each other and randomly find themselves carrying out the sporting activity in the same area .
System state of the art
Server side: the preparation of a few pieces did not require the management of a large flow of data.
- IoT device version:
- Basic version: Made with a low-cost microcontroller (STM32), but with excellent performance, connected to a Bluetooth module for connection to the operator’s smartphone, who can set parameters and receive information from the IoT device via a graphical interface.
- Low energy consumption, low overall cost.
- LED signaling (three modulable colors), button for the request for help, piezoelectric acoustic alarm.
In this case the specification a) is not completely satisfied, because the smartphone is used as the only means of communication. You could add a Wi-Fi module.
It provides for the signaling of acoustic warnings for:
- a depleting level of the energy charge of the IoT device and smartphone;
- poor or no GSM signal.
- Intermediate version: Made with a medium-cost microcontroller (ESP32) with integrated Wi-Fi and Bluetooth functionality, it is connected to a GSM module for direct connection to the telephone data network. It includes all the features of the basic version but can connect to the network directly without a smartphone. It allows the ponto-ponto connection.
- Advanced Version: Made with a microcontroller equipped with a Linux operating system, it has all the features of the previous versions but allows voice communication, speech synthesis, voice commands. Possibility of integrating a video camera and publishing photos, videos, voice messages.